Sharing inspiration, interiors, art, food and culture

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

This is why I rock!


Rocks hold a special place in my heart and my home. They were, for many years, the one memento I would collect from a place that I had traveled to, a town where I had formerly lived, or a favorite sacred spot that I wished to have a piece of with me. In the last several years it has occurred to me that collecting a rock may not be very earth friendly and I didn't just have a human right to do as I pleased. This is a good thing because I now don't have too many rocks that I don't have room for and I haven't robbed nature of her bounty having a greedy mindset. I am at peace with the balance.
Rocks have become an important design element in my home as a sacred circle or focal point that you come upon on a stair landing, giving the eye something to rest upon while you catch your breath, a rock that holds my place in my daily desk calendar which keeps me centered, a natural element in the shower, a sculpture on the side porch. All of these rocks have a memory with me and all have special significance in their placement. Intention. My daughter's friends always comment on our "rock collections" and it sparks their creativity and conversation that is fun to hear.
Rocks are solid,they feel good in my hand. I like that. Here are some views of how they find their way into my interiors.




No comments: