Sharing inspiration, interiors, art, food and culture

Saturday, April 9, 2011

For a song


I suppose I am thrifty.  I've always been this way, mostly determined by what was in my bank account at the time that I needed or wanted something for my home.  My mother, grandmother and older sister before me had good taste but not a glamorous budget and they always managed to create an interesting and inviting environment.  It was my oldest sister ,whose first apartment I loved to visit, who taught me the art of living large and making the most of a small space.  As a child I loved to discover the carefully assembled objects and lounge upon her floor pillows like some exotic princess under a canopy of peacock feathers carefully arranged in the entryway.   Everyday objects and found objects from nature become works of art.   I could spend hours drooling over interiors in magazines full of outrageously expensive furniture and accessories, and sometimes I do, but the interiors that most often draw me in are those that have been crafted by real people with an artistic aesthetic who have found creative solutions to the way they live.  One such design team, JamesPlumb, is among my favorites whose interiors are born of pieces well worn and dissected like a science project.  I also have a yen for the cast-off piece or a desire to transform a duckling into a swan.   There have been times in my life when I've had more money to spend on a more expensive find but nine times out of ten I'd still go for the cheaper model and I now realize it's part of the design challenge that fuels me.   I feel satisfaction from getting something that looks great 'for a song'.  I love when people visit me in my home and compliment my side table or divan and I tell them that I spent less than $100 for both.  They can't believe it and want to know my haunts and secrets for sourcing such a find.  My roots for sourcing objects began as an art student in college with a fabulous antique market nearby.  Every weekend was spent pouring over stalls of collected treasures.  I guess I take pleasure in making something look good that was orphaned by someone who couldn't see its shining talent.  I fit right in in this day and age when recycled and resourced is de riguer.





No comments: